1. Music. Especially the way we discover it. I remember feeling like I ‘owned the rights’ to a certain band I’d found, and I would remind everyone that they were now enjoying them thanks to my incredible, superhuman treasure hunting abilities.
2. Building a business. I don’t know how people did it before social media platforms, but goodness, being a millionaire must have been insanely triumphant. Mind you, I’d still be ok with being a millionaire.
3. Communication. The other day I had to write a proper ‘old fashioned’ letter. What on earth happened to my handwriting? And stamps? When was the last time you saw one of those (except on bills)?
4. Glee. Love it or hate it, but it’s definitely had a huge impact on a social attitude shift. I remember when cynical and grungy was cool.
5. All nighters. I just can’t any more.
6. Special effects & animation. My boy and I watched 3 hours of the cutscenes from The Last Of Us video game the other night, and it was like watching a movie. Absolutely blew me away. What next?
7. The way people make a living these days. I remember having to justify my choice to become an ‘artist’ when I was younger, but now, so long as you embrace technology, it’s an absolutely viable career choice.
8. The way we’re more inclined to take care of our bodies, our skin and our environment. I think ultimately, we’ve got much better priorities.
9. Transportation. I lived in England 10 years ago, but now I live in South Africa. The public transport here is a little lacking, so I couldn’t imagine getting around like I used to. I’d walk everywhere I could, catch trains on a whim and my wallet was full of bus passes and taxi money.
10. Fame for the sake of fame. Or at least, accolades. How many socialites are there out there, youtube stars, people who are just famous for the sake of being famous? It scares me that role models are an entirely different breed these days.